I saw this question and answer on a message board recently and thought I’d clear it up…
Q: Why is Card Counting Illegal? A: Its simply because you a defying how the game is naturally supposed to be played and if done right, you cannot lose so there is no longer “chance” involved in the game and therefore the house can no longer win from you. It’s potentially stealing. To put it in simpler terms. It would be like someone saying I’ll give you $100 if you roll a 6 with a dice, and you use a dice with all 6’s.
Here are 5 Things you should know about Card Counting:
- Card Counting is NOT cheating. Card counting is simply using your brain, like a winning chess player. Fortunately, using your brain is still perfectly legal in the US!
- Card counters play the game exactly how the casino offers it. It’s not like using a dice with all 6’s, but like being better than someone else at scrabble. They may beat you sometimes, but you will win more often over the long-haul. Blackjack just happens to be the only casino game that can be consistently beaten EXACTLY how they offer it.
- YES, casinos can ask you to stop playing. In the same way that I’d pout and give up playing 1-on-1 basketball against Kobe Bryant, casinos can say that they don’t want you to play against them anymore because you are too good. They may treat you like you’re the bad guy, but the winning card counter is just the rare person who has taken the time, energy, and resolve to master how to beat the game. But that doesn’t make it illegal.
- You can make REAL money at card counting! We’ve taken millions from casinos over the years. It’s documented in the movie “Holy Rollers“, there are many professional card counters on our blackjack forum (none of whom break the law), and there are dozens of card counting books that explain how.
- You can learn to count cards! Many people think you have to be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to learn to beat card counting. But we’ve trained hundreds of people to beat the game. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it’s a learnable skill.
And NOW, for your Viewing Enjoyment, watch me getting backed off from a casino! -Colin